use rules for internet mailing lists & FILT4LIB

Burt, David DBurt at ci.oswego.or.us
Thu Jul 3 15:02:00 EDT 1997

JQ Johnson wrote:

>1/ What guidelines can librarians suggest to improve the quality (and
>information content) of electronic discussions?
>2/ for web4lib, would it be appropriate to have a similar max limit to
the
>one my faculty member imposes, perhaps phrased as a guideline rather
than a
>hard limit?

No inflammatory innuendo intended here about your motivations, but I
think the effect of such a limit would be to silence the pro-filtering
side of the debate.  There have been more anti-filtering than
pro-filtering posts here, for sure.  But most of the pro-filtering posts
have come from just two people, Ronnie Morgan and myself.  Shut the two
of us off because of "max. limits" and you effectively end the debate.
This would cause listservs to mimic professional conferences and
literature, where the pro-filtering view has been for the most part
effectively silenced.  Is that what you want?

Others (and I'm not implying you) have suggested that this debate is
largely an extension of me.  It takes two, and in this case , a bunch of
people, to tango.  Had the anti-filterers quit posting about filtering,
I would have to, a long time ago.

I have a more appropriate suggestion: Let's move the bulk of the
discussions about filtering back over to FILT4LIB.

C'mon, let's go.  Who's with me?

          David Burt, Information Technology Librarian
          The Lake Oswego Public Library
          706 Fourth Street, Lake Oswego, OR 97034
          Phone:     (503) 675-2537
          Fax:           (503) 635-4171
          E-mail:      dburt at ci.oswego.or.us