unsolicited emails -- what to do?

Peter Murray pem at po.cwru.edu
Thu Jul 3 10:04:29 EDT 1997

--On Fri, Jun 27, 1997 4:06 PM -0700 "Laura Guy" <guy at ssc.wisc.edu> wrote:
> we've a large web site with an email address at the bottom
> of most pages for people who need further information or
> assistance.
>
> lately we've been getting deluged with tens of emails a day
> from people who've evidently found this address and are using
> it for all sorts of obnoxious things.
>
> anybody have any ideas what to do?  do i just have to put up with
> it?

I sit on a mailing reflector that monitor's the campus webmaster mail; we
can get as many as a dozen of these a day.  Most times we just send a stock
reply back to the sender:

    Thank you for informing us of your Web site.  Because of the large
  volume of e-mail we receive, we cannot answer every link request
  individually.  We do investigate each suggestion sent to us, and in some
  cases, we forward the suggestion to a department or group within the
  University which is related to the material.  However, if you want to be
  sure that a certain on-line CWRU organization is aware of your site, we
  recommend that you contact them directly.
    Again, thank you for taking an interest in the CWRU Web server and for
  letting us know about your information.

and browse the site to see if it is relevant to us.  Sometimes we forward
the original message to web-cluefull departments.

Peter
--
Peter Murray, Library Systems Manager                      pem at po.cwru.edu
Digital Media Services                   http://www.cwru.edu/home/pem.html