Nasa

Guy Allan Twombly gat0002 at jove.acs.unt.edu
Wed Jul 2 14:18:26 EDT 1997

On Wed, 2 Jul 1997, David King wrote:

> >Would it be nice if one who will remain nameless checked these things out
> >first before getting hysterical?
>
> Uhm... you missed the point.
>
> Some people aren't going to know the difference between com and gov.
>
> I just typed in "nasa" without "www" or "com" or "gov" and guess
> where netscape took me? To the commercial site, not the gov site.
>
> That's the problem...

Hi David
   I am fairly new to the list, but I have been following this thread.
What is the problem? I checked out Nasa.com and saw the ad. that has you
upset. I don't see a problem with it, but this may be because I am not
interested in what it is offering. If people don't know the dofference
between .gov and .com maybe that is something that we as Librarians should
be teaching them. Personally, I think rather than spending our time
surfing the net looking for objectionable material, we should spend our
time on thinking about how to better educate the public about this medium.

Guy