a question

Charles P. Hobbs transit at primenet.com
Wed Jul 2 02:57:44 EDT 1997

On Tue, 1 Jul 1997 Dspp at aol.com wrote:

> A question for no one in particular: If libraries would utilize text-only
> browsers, would there be a need for filtering?

In that case, there'd be no concern about anyone looking at dirty
*pictures*, obviously. . .of course, there are plenty of text files that
certain segments of society might find objectionable in some way.

I tend to agree with the poster that this concern about kids going to
the library and downloading porn all day is a bit overblown. For one
thing, many of the libraries I visit (Pasadena, Palmdale, San Jose,
various LA City branches, Vancouver BC, etc.) all have their terminals
out in the open. I would imagine that most people (of any age) who sit
around all day looking at "porn" like to do so in private . . .