Virus warning

Ronnie Morgan rmorgan at Harding.edu
Fri Jan 31 13:16:54 EST 1997

** Reply to note from "Sarah Nesbeitt, Maxwell Library" <snesbeitt at topcat.bridgew.edu> Fri, 31 Jan 1997 10:46:34 -0800

> However, this is NOT what the poster referred to, and you're right that
> it's a hoax, but some viruses (like macro viruses) can be spread through
> e-mail.

That's true.  ANY virus can be spread via email when the program it has
infected is transferred via MIME encoding (or uuencode).  But even then,
just reading the email won't cause you to get infected.  You have to
decode the program and execute it before you actually get infected.

I don't mean to be inconsiderate, or anything, but people really need to
think about what they are passing on before they forward it to a group of
people or a listserv.  People also need to learn that just because it's
on the Internet, it does not mean that it's true...

"Now back to your regularly scheduled listserv..."

Ronnie Morgan
Team OS/2
Harding University Library        Internet : rmorgan at harding.edu
Systems Manager                   Phone : (501) 279-4077 (voice)
Box 2267, Searcy, AR  72149       PGP Key available upon request