Creating a GIF

William J. Frost fros at planetx.bloomu.edu
Thu Jan 30 21:17:16 EST 1997

On Thu, 30 Jan 1997, Jennifer Sarber wrote:

> Hello again everybody:
>
> I am working on a Mac.  I am using several different HTML editors: W3,
> PageMill and WebWeaver.  I also have Word 6.0, and a gif converter.  The
> browser I am using is Netscape 3.0.
>
> I would like to creat a gif to use in a background.  I can do everything
> except creat the gif.  I know HTML is HTML no matter what platform you are
> using and that a gif is a gif, but how do you make a gif?
>
> Can anybody give me instructions on creating a gif?
>
> Thanks
> Jennifer
>
> Jennifer L. Sarber
> Management Information Services
> Indiana State Library
> http://www.statelib.lib.in.us

Nothing you've mentioned (by the way, BBEdit is superior to all the HTML
editors you've listed) is a graphic application.  I use Deneba artWORKS to
create images, then "Save As" the GIF format.  Its not as sophisticated as
the professional graphic programs (e.g PhotoShop), but cost about 1/10 as
much.  I believe ClarisWorks will also save to GIF, but is less
sophisticated than artWORKS.

GIF Transparency is freeware that will eliminate unwanted background from
a GIF.  GIF Converter and Graphics Converter will convert a graphic to GIF
from another format, e.g PICT or TIFF.

Several Websites offer free GIFs (or JPEGs).  Check out some using the
Bookmarks on my home page http://acwww.bloomu.edu/~fros/.  Using Netscape
Navigator, you can save them under "File."

Using the Works in Progress link on my home page, look at some GIFs I
created using artWORKS.

	Bill Frost                       Harvey A. Andruss Library
	Reference Librarian              Bloomsburg University
	717-389-4126                     Bloomsburg, PA  17815
	fros at bloomu.edu                  Fax 717-389-3895
	http://acwww.bloomu.edu/~fros/