Frames discussion

Albert Kemp Jr. akemp at library.uwaterloo.ca
Wed Jan 29 11:12:21 EST 1997

Hi Everyone....

Needless to say, this frames thread is growing a bit tiresome.
However, it has been quite interesting to see so many strong opinions
expressed both for and against this feature.  Ultimately, folks are
going to have to decide for themselves whether or not to use frames,
and it stands to reason that this should be done in consultation
with the user community, especially when it involves access to critical
services.

It seems doubtful to me that both Netscape and Microsoft would continue
to build support for frames into the newest versions of their browsers
(and make liberal use of the feature on their own pages), if they deemed
it to be of little value, lacking potential, and a navigational nightmare
in general.

True, frames do have their little idiosyncrasies.  But IMHO, it's simply
a matter of knowing when and where to use frames, as well as how to code
them properly.  None of us should have to defend our decision for or
against the use of frames.  However, we should all be sensitive to
constructive feedback that is given in the spirit of making the Web a
better place.

Albert Kemp Jr.           [[][][]]   Net: akemp at library.uwaterloo.ca
Library Asst., Systems    [[][][]]   Web: http://www.lib.uwaterloo.ca/~akemp
University of Waterloo    [[][][]]   Fax: (519) 746-1758
Ontario, Canada  N2L3G1    ######
(519) 888-4567, x5377    [[](||)[]]