User distribution by browser

Henk Matthezing henkm at python.konbib.nl
Wed Jan 29 05:43:02 EST 1997

Hi

On Tue, 28 Jan 1997, John J. Burke wrote:

> really have any idea what level or type of browser the majority of Net users
> have?  I often see comments to the effect that "well, no one uses Lynx anymore"
> or "Now that everyone has moved to Netscape 2.0 or beyond . . . "  I know that
> my institution is behind the times (we still are predominantly Lynx-only), but
> what about the Net as a whole?  While any of us can construct local resources
> based on the local dominant browser, should we all feel the need to play to the
> lowest common denominator?  (My personal view is yes, but I'd like to know
> others').

Analyzing your logfiles with ANALOG
(http://www.statslab.cam.ac.uk/~sret1/analog/)
will get you some info on the types of browsers/spiders hitting your site
at the National Library of the Netherlands (about 65% of our hits are from
the .nl domain, the rest is from all over the planet)

Just to give an indication,
here's the distribution of total reguests for december 1996 of our
(bilangual) site (http:\\www.konbib.nl)

(Mozilla = Netscape)

 #reqs: browser
------  -------
204260: Mozilla
 41609: Mozilla (compatible)
 29381: MOMspider
  3784: NetCarta_WebMapper
  2328: Ilse-robot (wiebe at il.ft.hse.nl)
  1646: Mosaic
  1266: WebSeer
  1225: ArchitextSpider
  1117: Scooter
  1111: MuscatFerret
  1083: Lynx
   761: Microsoft Internet Explorer
   686: NetAttache Light 1.1
   489: MSProxy
   380: IWENG
   328: Lycos_Spider_(T-Rex)
   322: Webinator-bow
   289: IBM-WebExplorer-DLL
   250: Gulliver
   235: Cyberjack Web 7.00 (Windows)

It gives an indication on how important other browsers are beside
Netscape.
BTW, our stats are not publicly accessible.

Groet, Henk
                                                         _
                                    'A King, Riding on Random Water'
coordinating editor          Virginia Woolf - The Waves (orig. Manuscript)
Redactie Infoservices
Koninklijke Bibliotheek/SURFnet B.V.  Phone:  +31 70 3140 615
P.O.B. 90407                          Fax:    +31 70 3140 501
2509 LK Den Haag                      E-mail: henkm at python.konbib.nl