Fixed the connection problem--what about GPF's?

Beth DeGeer bdeg at bartlesville.lib.ok.us
Tue Jan 28 20:41:24 EST 1997

Hi all:

I have fixed the problem with the staff computer not connecting to the
library's home page, thanks to the help of you folks.  I really
appreciate your help.  It turns out I needed to go into Chameleon Custom
and fix the host table in case anyone is interested.

I have two more problems:  Our public internet computers are connected
via an Ethernet network.  They are running Netscape 3.0, Windows for
Workgroups, Chameleon TCP/IP stack, and IKIOSK for security.

One of the computers mysteriously lost it's physical address.  We have
also found when running scandisk that all the computers are losing
clusters--both the brand new and the older computers are doing this.
Our hardware guy thinks the lost physical address could be a result of
this, but assures me that "new computers just lose clusters" and he
doesn't know how to fix the problem.  Any thoughts?

Also, several of our computers are crashing a lot in Netscape.  For some
reason, whenever one of our computers logs on to Alta Vista, we get a
GPF and have to reboot the system.  Netscape causes the GPF in one of
the Chameleon .DLL files according to the error message.  I have done
everything Netscape suggests on their technical support page in terms of
changing Netscape.ini.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Beth DeGeer