using frames

Bert Hoflund bert at algonet.se
Tue Jan 28 12:39:39 EST 1997

Frames or no frames

Yes, I agree with the other speakers. When Netscape 3 came around I made
a rather small vertical frame on the left with icons for navigation.
I got tired of that frame myself. Users reported that they didn't need
it. It simply did not contribute to the navigability of the site. I now
think that if there are consistent forward and backwards (history)
buttons and a button linking to the home page on every page the user
shouldn't get lost. If he does, you need to redesign, frames
notwithstanding.

Among other setbacks that haven't been mentioned, is the fact that when
a user bookmarks a file found in a frame, he or she will only bookmark
the original site, unless they know how to right click etc.
Also, frames by definition decrease the size of the main window and that
could also be a nuisance, especially for people with 14" screens.

Bert Hoflund
Librarian, Molndals stadsbibliotek, Sweden
e-mail: bert.hoflund at molndal.se
www: http://www.molndal.se/bibl/
Private e-mail: bert at algonet.se
Private www: http://www.algonet.se/~bert