using frames

George Jenkins gjenkins at hbs.edu
Tue Jan 28 11:11:09 EST 1997

At 07:51 AM 1/28/97 -0800, you wrote:
>Does anyone else hate frames as much as I do? I prefer to navigate from
>page to page, myself. I hate it when I click on a link to leave the
>framed page behind--and that #$%^ table of contents is still there. If
>you use frames for your library page, I hope you will make a non-framed
>version available. Thanks! --W
>
>Walter Minkel, Youth Librarian
>Gresham Regional Library, 385 NW Miller Ave., Gresham, OR 97030
>Voice (503)248-5164; fax (503)248-5198; walterm at nethost.multnomah.lib.or.us
>==============
>Express yourself, then keep silent. --Tao Te Ching

Walter--

I agree with you.  For me, it isn't so much that I dislike frames, but that
the sites I've visited that have implemented frames, did so when it really
wasn't necessary.  (The old "technology for technology's sake" trap.)  Plus,
most users I've talked with dislike frames.  I would never implement frames
at a web site unless user attitudes changed; or I tested the implementation
*first* with my target users.

However, there seems to be one good application for frames: tutorial type
sites.  See this site, if you haven't:

        http://www.webpagesthatsuck.com/

It is an excellent tutorial on good web site design, for any web site or web
page developer.

George

-----
Visit the redesigned Baker Library
website:  http://library.hbs.edu
-----
George Jenkins                617.495.6837 (voice)
Business Information Analyst  617.496.3725 (fax)
Research Services             GJenkins at hbs.edu
Baker Library # 215           http://library.hbs.edu/
Harvard Business School       http://www.hbs.edu