Web surfing for the blind - help please

Stephen M. Jones stjones at umbc.edu
Tue Jan 28 09:53:19 EST 1997

We have inherited a DecTalk Express speech synthesizer with its software
and a screen reader program called Vocal Eyes.  According to the
manufacturer of Vocal Eyes, it is DOS only, and doesn't even support
Lynx or Pine very well.  We would like to implement this with a pc, not
a Mac, due to the patron's preferences.  (Yes, I know that Mac has very
high capabilities in this area; we will _not_ be considering Mac
solutions, no offense.)

1.  How satisfactory is the DecTalk synthesizer for Web/email
requirements?  Is there something better?  There are funds available if
there is something significantly better.

2.  What screen reader works best with Netscape/IE?  The manufacturer of
Vocal Eyes has a package Window Eyes which they say would satisfy our
needs; any experience?  There is also a product Jaw for Windows.  Any
experience with these or other packages?

3.  Between Netscape and IE, which is friendlier in this context?

4.  Any other suggestions, experience, hints will be greatly
appreciated.

Many thanks.

Steve Jones
Mgr Library Computing