Purpose of Web4lib

Judy Myers jm at UH.EDU
Mon Jan 27 14:29:57 EST 1997

Although I am a recent subscriber to Web4lib, and am perhaps not aware of
its informal conventions, I share Steve Mealmut's belief that this list
should stick to its described purpose (repeated below).  If I want general
discussion of library public computing issues, I can find that on PACS-L.
If I want copyright discussion, I'm sure there's a list for that.

I signed on to this list because I'm developing a lot of Web materials for
my library, and I would like to know what issues others are facing. I'd like
to have a place to get advice on sticky points (I had figured out the BORDER
questions a few weeks ago, but only last week did I figure out how to center
text), and to be advised of good library Web sites.  I asked for comment on
our site, and appreciated the responses.  However, from my point of view
there has been entirely too much extraneous material on this list during my
rather short time on it.

PURPOSE

The Web4Lib electronic discussion is for the discussion of issues
relating to the creation and management of library- based World-Wide Web
servers and clients. Particularly appropriate issues for discussion
include, but are not limited to:

 * Web resource selection and information mounting in relation to
   existing acquisition and collection development procedures
 * cataloging and metadata issues regarding Web information
 * in-house patron access to Web servers (e.g., Netscape on
   patron-accessible computers)
 * training staff or users to use the Web or to create Web resources
Judy E. Myers                              jm at uh.edu
Assistant to the Director of Libraries     713/743-9805 (voice)
University of Houston Libraries            713/743-9811 (fax)
Houston, TX 77204-2091