Sound files and connection conflict

Earl Young eayoung at bna.com
Sun Jan 26 11:37:03 EST 1997

     What machine (PC) are you using, what is the width of your connection,
     and how much memory do you have.  I have two 'net systems at home.
     One is a 486 with only 20MB of memory and a 28.8 Hayes.  The other is
     a Pentium with 32MB of memory and is connected to the net via a 1meg
     ADSL line.  Playing sound files sometimes causes trouble on the first
     machine, and never causes problems on the second.

     You did not make clear whether you were playing the .wav from the
     Internet or from your hard disk - was it already there or was it
     something you were downloading as you go along?

     Sound files - and I do not know which site you were using - are not
     all "short".  Many are fairly sizable and keep downloading after
     enough has been sent to your machine for the player to start running.
     Thus it is not impossible (there isn't enough data in your message to
     reach a conclusion) that your connection is being used by a continuing
     transmission from the sound site.

     What is the status of the "in use" button.  Is "STOP" (or "stop

     Hope some of this is helpful

     Earl Young
     x 7887