SWISH Wish List

Roy Tennant rtennant at library.berkeley.edu
Fri Jan 24 18:12:12 EST 1997

Pam Day said:
>The following is a summary of the responses to my query on local search
>engines.  Thank you to everyone who responded to my question.  We may
>try one of the free search engines such as SWISH. [details deleted]

This may be an opportune time to discuss SWISH. We have used SWISH for
quite a while on both the Library Web at UC Berkeley
(www.lib.berkeley.edu) and the Digital Library SunSITE
(sunsite.berkeley.edu). We've used it long enough to detect bugs and
dream of enhancements. We recently received permission from SWISH author
Kevin Hughes to hack the C source and create a UCB version to our
specifications.

Although we are not yet working on the programming, the project has been
put in the queue and will likely come to the surface in the next several
months. In preparation for that event I've begun putting together a page
that describes bug fixes and enhancements that we've already identified.
Anyone who is interested in the final product is welcome to take a look
at the list, suggest new items, provide examples or documentation of bugs
or suggest specific capabilities of listed enhancements. I will be
fleshing out this document to serve as the specification from which the
programmer will work. Prior to work commencing I will be assigning a
rough priority order to the elements, so advice on what you wish the most
for is also welcome.

The Swish Wish List is at:

http://sunsite.berkeley.edu/Tools/swishfix.html

Examples of some of the projects that are either in development or
production that use SWISH can be seen at:

Current Cites Virtual Issue:
	http://sunsite.berkeley.edu/cgi-bin/virtualcc
The Index to the Internet:
	http://sunsite.Berkeley.EDU/InternetIndex/
The California PATH Database on Intelligent Transportation Systems:
	http://sunsite.Berkeley.EDU/PATH/

Roy Tennant
Project Manager
Digital Library R&D