Yo ho ho (this isn't about Ken Dowlin any more)

George Caldwell gcaldwel at bna.com
Fri Jan 24 15:32:44 EST 1997

       Personally, I think Morgan was stating an obvious fact, not
          advocating anything. We've been through this with cellular
          phones, with e-mail, and it's only common sense. There are
          differences between "electronic" and "physical" media that
          wishing it were different won't change. I'd act ethically,
          but listen to Morgan to protect myself.

         {br.wcc at rlg.org} wrote:
          I'm really saddened to see that Eric
          Lease Morgan has joined the jolly band of Internet pirates.
          I can think of no surer way to reduce the long-term
          usefulness of the Internet than to assert that intellectual
          property rights don't obtain here... ompensation.

[Eric Lease Morgan wrote:]
[copied only to provide context for the above]

>My experience with the Internet says, "If you don't want it copied, then
>don't put it on the 'Net."
>
>Ideas and information are not to be sold, leased, nor monopolised.

Sorry, Eric, but piracy being easy doesn't make it ethical.
-walt crawford, br.wcc at rlg.org
 Speaking only for myself--but then, RLG does sell
 processed information, don't we?

To:  WEB4LIB at LIBRARY.BERKELEY.EDU