Request for advice about color scanners for web page images

Wayne Shimoguchi wshimo at nucba.ac.jp
Thu Jan 16 03:24:01 EST 1997

I hope this question is not considered out of bounds for this list.

I am planning on purchasing a color scanner, primarily for adding images to
our library's home page.  From what I have read, it seems that a color
scanner with an optical resolution of 300 dpi is more than sufficient for
creating images for web sites, and so I have been looking at the Canon
Canoscan 300, the HP Scanjet 4p and the Epson ES-1000C (which is a 400 dpi
scanner).

I would very much appreciate hearing from anyone who has used these
scanners, especially regarding your opinions about the quality of the
scanning software which is bundled with these machines, as well as the
quality of the customer service.

I have been a long-time fan of HP products, but I have seen mixed reviews
of the Scanjet 4p (a bad review in MacUser; "best scanner of the year" in
Computer Shopper), and I think the Scanjet 4C might be overkill if my main
use will be for web page images.

Any thoughts on this, also?

Please respond to me personally, as perhaps some may feel that this
question is not at all pertinent to this list.

Thank you.

Wayne Shimoguchi
Foreign Section Librarian
Nagoya Shoka Daigaku