[Fwd: Re: WebTV]

curr at mnsinc.com curr at mnsinc.com
Wed Jan 15 00:25:18 EST 1997

Earl,

Do you have web page locations handy that describe ADSL technology?

Cliff Urr
E-mail: curr at mnsinc.com
Galaxy Scientific Corp.
Crystal Plaza One, 2001 Jeff Davis Highway,
Suite 1107 Arlington, VA 22202
703-413-0464, ext. 242
Personal Home Page: http://www.mnsinc.com/curr/
Date: 1/15/97
Time: 12:25:18 PM

--- On Tue, 14 Jan 1997 14:55:55 -0800  Earl Young <eayoung at bna.com>
wrote:

>     It is not immediately clear that phone wires are too slow.  I am
>     participating in a test of ADSL service for Bell Atlantic, and it
runs
>     at 1.02 MEGS (it will go up to 6) over regular phone lines - at
the
>     same time the line is used for voice communications.  Unlike the
much
>     slower ISDN, it does not hit the central office switch with a lot
of
>     resource requirements.  Bell Atlantic is ahead of most of the
Bells in
>     this technology, but Pac Bell is starting with it as well.
>
>     There are several ADSL web pages that describe the technology.
>     Consider that - if the remote server is fast enough - I download
at
>     home at up to 134 K per second, and you'll realize that phone
circuits
>     can be pushed considerably faster than the 3 K from a typical
modem or
>     the 12 K typical of an ISDN circuit.  ADSL is considerably cheaper

>     than ISDN - the "buzz" is that Bell Atlantic (if they offer it)
will

_________________________________
>Subject: [Fwd: Re: WebTV]
>Author:  chen2 at UHCL4.CL.UH.EDU at INTERNET
>Date:    1/14/97 2:48 PM

>Date: Tue, 14 Jan 1997 12:02:34 -0800
>From: Michael Chen <chen2 at uhcl4.cl.uh.edu>
>To: Web for Libraries <web4lib at library.kerkeley.edu>
>Subject: RE: WebTV

>--------------5C9D7CF437A9
>
>There are three issues that need to be resolved before WebTV will
become
>popular.  First, format conversion.  Most home pages on the Internet
>have been designed for computer monitors instead of TV.  Until people
>are willing to redesign home pages for TV viewers.  It's like watching
>letter box films on TV.  It does not feel right.  Second, habits,
>watching TV is a community event while web surfing is individual on a
>Personal Computer.  Are you going to allow one person to surf while
>others watch?   Third, communication infrastructure,  WebTVs are
>designed
>to use telephone wires.  The speed is too slow.
>
>--------------5C9D7CF437A9

-----
>- Michael Chen                       *  Phone: (281) 283-3919
    -
>- Electronic Information Librarian   *  Fax:   (281) 283-3907
    -
>- Neumann Library                    *  E-mail: chen2 at uhcl4.cl.uh.edu
    -
>- University of Houston -Clear Lake  *  Web site: http://nola.cl.uh.edu
    -
>- 2700 Bay Area Blvd.                *
    -
>- Houston, TX 77058                  *  Quote: "To teach is to learn
twice" -
-----

>--------------5C9D7CF437A9--

-----------------End of Original Message-----------------

"But convergence is inevitable: All media will be the Web, and the Web
will be all media."

- Andrew Leonard, HotWired