technical problems

Petter Naess pnaess at usis.no
Thu Jan 9 06:09:56 EST 1997

Forgive me for asking some nonlibrary-specific questions, but I've
received such good technical assistance here in the past. I have a few
problems with Netscape and Win95 (separately) that some of you may have
encountered:

1. On a 486 with Netscape 2.0 and Trumpet, I find that Netscape seems
somehow linked to the dialler so that it cannot be run without a
connection. This a problem when I use a program such as HTML Transit,
which invokes Netscape to browse documents, and also a nuisance when I
wish to view/print html documents locally. When I click on the Netscape
icon, the minimized Trumpet icon immediately appears - if I click Netscape
again, I'm told the application is already running. Funny thing is, if I
just leave it set for about 5 minutes, Netscape seems to overcome its
bashfulness and then suddenly makes an appearance. Is there some sort of
time lag built in, after which Netscape ignores the lack of connection?
Any suggestions? (I understand there's a file called mozock.dll that can
replace winsock.dll to remedy this problem, but I think then you are
limited to local viewing only)

2. With Windows 95, I find that various applications use different
file/folder display modes. If I open a file in Netscape, the manager shows
a box with the W95 folder icon, and below it a box for the file icons and
filenames (without extensions), arranged in multiple columns from left to
right, much like the old dos widescreen dir command (dir/d). In other
applications, w95 chooses to show the files without icons, listing them in
a single column. I much prefer this latter display mode, with the files
listed vertically. Is there anyway of setting W95 up so that it will
always display in that mode?

Secondly, how does one establish the default directory for the file
displayer. In Netscape, f.eks., I wish the file display to default to my
download directory - haven't figured out a way to do it.

Many thanks for any advice, PN

Petter Naess
Information Resource Center
United States Information Service