webliography software

Tina Greenwood greenwood_t at FORTLEWIS.EDU
Tue Jan 7 16:26:56 EST 1997

Linda Rudell Betts wrote:

> Linda Rudell Betts at QUARTERDECK
> 01/07/97 12:09 PM
>
> To:   web4lib at library.berkeley.edu @ internet
> cc:
> Subject:  webliography software
>
> I remember seeing a recent discussion regarding software that would
> facilitate webliography generation from bookmarks or something similar.
> I've checked the Web4Lib archives and haven't had much luck there.  Anyone
> remember this?
>
> thanks in advance --
>
> Linda Rudell-Betts
> Manager, Lexical Resource Operations
> Quarterdeck Corp.
> Marina del Rey, CA

Linda,

The new Pro-Cite for Windows includes and enhancement called "Netcite"
or "Internet Enabler" that allows one to "pull in" the title and URL of
a Web document directly from a WWW browser.  It also allow one to open a
URL from within the database by clicking on the address information
within a record.  I beta tested the software and liked it.

I have used the DOS version Pro-Cite extensively for bibliographic
databases, including Web-related ones, as it is set up primarily for
this purpose.  The Windows version, as much as I have used it, seems to
be as powerful and reliable as the DOS version was, and it supports
several enhancements.  If you are going to compile a large database,
Pro-Cite offers great searching capabilities with Boolean operators.
You can also use it to generate authority lists from which to pull terms
for various fields.  This feature is especially helpful for generating
subject list authority files.

You could use the software to compile searchable Web databases and to
open URLs from within the program.  You can also use it to create
printed bibiographies of Web sites and/or other information sources.

The down side of this product is that it is fairly expensive -- I think
$300 or 400 if I remember correctly.  Also, Personal Bibliographic
Software, the product's producer was recently purchased by another
software company (I can't remember which one right now).

No, this is not an ad!  I'm sure there are alternative, possibly less
expensive, software products for your purposes, and you may not be
looking for all of the features that this program provides.  Pro-Cite
and its related products, though, have been in use in libraries for many
years.

Tina Evans Greenwood
Library Instruction Coordinator
Fort Lewis College