learning HTML

John_Goldsmith jgoldsmi at rainbow.fvrcs.gov.bc.ca
Mon Jan 6 23:16:34 EST 1997

While not wanting to beat a dead horse on the topic of html editors, I do
want to reinforce the comments made by previous contributors.  Like a lot
of people who dabble with Web pages, I hailed the coming of GUI Web pages
editors with great joy.  No more html tags to learn or remember.  WRONG!

Web page editors such as Front Page, Home Page, Page Mill, Hot Dog,
Netscape Gold, etc., and conversion programs are okay for creating simple
pages - some text, a picture or two, a few links but if your needs go
beyond that to tables, frames, etc. your best bet is still raw html and
good tex editor.

I'd equate the state of html editing today with the state of desktop
publishing when programs such as Print Shop and Print Master were as good
as it got.  It wasn't that long before powerful applications such as
PageMaker and Ventura Publishing emerged. I'm sure the same thing will
happen with html editors so that it will be possible to create spectaculor
web pages without the slighest knowledge of html.  Problem is, those
programs don't exist yet.  Soon maybe, but not yet.

ps.  To Thomas Dowling - love your signature line.
        "Thomas ("Still happy with vi") Dowling"

>> Michael Ginsborg wrote:
>>
>>  I plan to take a short introductory course on HTML, offered by a
>community
>> college, does anyone know whether some of Microsoft's products, such
>as
>> FrontPage and PowerPoint, make that unnecessary?
>>
>> Michael Ginsborg, Assistant Librarian
>> California Supreme Court Library
>> 415-396-9438
>> ginsborg at class.org

John Goldsmith, Fraser Valley Distance Education School
49520 Prairie Central Rd.,  Chilliwack B. C., Canada  V2P 6H3
Phone:(604) 794-7310    Fax:(604) 795-8480
http://www.fvrcs.gov.bc.ca   e-mail: jgoldsmi at rainbow.fvrcs.gov.bc.ca