NETSCAPE 3.0 VS POWERMAC 6100 IS THIS IT?

Charles A. Summerhill casummerhill at librarylrc.uams.edu
Fri Jan 3 11:45:15 EST 1997

Jennifer Sarber wrote:

> I was also wondering if I could install Netscape 3.0 without all the
> plug-ins so that it would not be so large?  Maybe Netscape Gold 3.0 would
> be better for our use.  Does anyone know anything about Netscape Gold?

You can remove the plug-ins, but I don't think that add any overhead until the actual
time that are run. Running Netscape Gold is probably NOT what you want to do. Netscape
Gold is exactly the same as Netscape (non-gold), with an WYSIWYG HTML editor in addition.
It has even a higher memory requirement.

On another note: Microsoft is supposed to release Internet Explorer version 3 for the
Macintosh on the 7th of this month. Microsoft claims that IE has smaller memory
requirements (about 4 megabytes less); however I have seen other information that says
that when IE is in use, the System File suddenly becomes much larger. However, IE does
not have built-in Mail and News and overall should use less memory.

--
  Charles A. Summerhill
  Network Manager