crashing netscape and unprintable web pages

Reading Public Library, Reference Dept. rplref at ptd.net
Mon Jan 20 13:25:11 EST 1997

Dear list-members,

I seek enlightenment again.  This time I have two questions:

1)Our library has 2 stand-alone internet computers, running windows 3.1 and
Netscape 2.02. We are using Fortres on both.  The dialer is scripted and
users cannot disconnect by themselves (unless they turn off the computer).
I believe that Netscape was configured to disconnect from the IP after 5
minutes of inactivity.  Out problem is that the computers keep crashing.  We
reboot, and they seem fine.  Lately we've been getting error messages
relating to memory problems (again, I believe we have 16megabytes of RAM).
Any ideas on what we could be doing to cause the crashes?

2)From time to time, patrons have been unable to print all or part of web
pages.  One instance was a scholarly text article, and another was a graphic
that would not print the entire page.  I was wondering if there are methods
that people can and do use to prevent their pages from being printed?  I
looked at the source document for each instance and could not find anything
out of the ordinary in the HTML.  Perhaps the printing is somehow supressed
by the server?

Eileen Stec
Reading Public Library