Plagiarism Risks on Academic Websites

Patrick Durusau pdurusau at crl.com
Sun Jan 12 08:58:37 EST 1997

Terry,

The concern voiced by your graduate students has also been raised by
"established" scholars, but it is one that I do not find persuasive in
deciding to post or "publish" material on the Net.

First and formost, it has been my personal experience that there are not
hordes of unethical scholars surfing the Net looking for new insights to
steal. Plagiarism may actually occur from a professor publishing the
unattributed insight of a graduate student or from someone lifting an
idea off of a website. The only complete protection is to tell no one of
this new insight until it is published in your field's best journal.
(Watch for the referee who rejects good articles to steal the new ideas.)

Plagiarism is an unfortunate (albeit small) risk of participating in the
scholarly community. Yes, as one reply to your post stated, one can omit
information to protect your insight. But will scholarly discussion be
furthered if we all protect our insights and information? For example, at
an Egyptology conference I attended several years ago, one presenter
"flashed" his slides to avoid anyone noted in detail what he observed at
the original site. Or consider the unfortunate experience with certain
scroll collections that were available only to a few insiders. Both
practices avoid the "stealing of insights" but also impair scholarly
discussion.

Rather than devoting much time or energy to fretting about possible
plagiarism, I would suggest that your graduate students make names for
themselves as scholars who have new ideas and insights. Not as scholars
who have one insight and then spend a career nursing it along. (Remember
the servant who was given one talent? Matt. 25:14-30)

Patrick

Patrick Durusau
Information Technology
Scholars Press