Nice Web tool...

Anna Gagliardi gagliard at fhs.csu.McMaster.CA
Fri Jan 10 16:31:36 EST 1997

perhaps a more advanced tool developed at the Health Information Research Unit, McMaster University, is a database management/Internet publishing system called HIREx, which is partly based on java programming.

this system allows entire databases of people and resources (including Internet resources) to be published to the web. when using one of these inventories, you can follow links to particular web sites...this initiates a separate web browser session...in order to return to the place you left off in the inventory, just shut down that particular browser session.

another benefit of using this system, is that web pages can be created using hypertext links that are validated by the publishing system. therefore, if a particular hot link occurs several times throughout a web site, and that URL changes, the web manager need not alter the HTML code for each page, rather, the URL within a single HIREx record must be changed, and then each of those hot links is automatically correct.

to check out the system, go to the main web page for the Health Information Research Unit, http://hiru.mcmaster.ca, and choose Inventory, or follow a link to any of the project pages (which all use HIREx), and then click on Inventory.

a. gagliardi