Boston Situation

Burt, David DBurt at ci.oswego.or.us
Fri Feb 28 12:07:00 EST 1997

   Gordon a. Ross wrote:

  >The following was forwarded to me.  I see reference to "censorware"
as
   >pertaining to some of the companies in the filtering or blocking
arena.  We

  >at Net Nanny agree that there should be no censorship of the
Internet.  We
  >believe that the Individual has the right to determine what should or
  >should not be presented on his/her terminal.

  >Net Nanny allows YOU, the owner, to decide what you do or do not want
sent,
  >typed or received on your PC.  We allow you total access to our FREE
data
  >base, if you want, or you can define your own data base.  Anything
that is
  >blocked inadvertently may be removed from Net Nanny's data base at
the
  >owner's discretion.

  >We are the only software company that allows 2-way screening and to
  >capability of deciding what is right for your situation.  We also do
not
  >believe that customers should be charged for any data base update.
All of
  >our data bases, (both good and bad lists) are free of charge to all
owners
  >of our product.

  >Please feel free to send any comment you may have on these issues to
me.

  >Thanks.   :)
  >Gordon.
  >Gordon a. Ross - CEO/President
  >Net Nanny Software International Ltd.
  >Suite 108 - 525 Seymour Street
  >Vancouver, B.C.  Canada   V6B 3H7
  >     Tel:  (604) 662-8522

Thanks for that clarification, Gordon.  I think it's important that
people realize that not all filters are the same.  There tends to be a
"worst example" approach applied to the discussion of  all filters:
e.g., the one that blocked the White House site because it used the word
"couple", etc.

I think you could improve your product by offering a kiosk version for
public settings that reverted to a screen saver with a "Filter on/
Filter off" button.  I think this would be workable in adult rooms, and
in children's rooms the filter would be turned on, but might be turned
off if the child had a signed waiver by the parent.

David

          David Burt, Information Technology Librarian
          The Lake Oswego Public Library
          706 Fourth Street, Lake Oswego, OR 97034
          Phone:     (503) 635-0392
          Fax:           (503) 635-4171
          E-mail:      dburt at ci.oswego.or.us