Boston situation

CMUNSON CMUNSON at aaas.org
Thu Feb 27 16:03:46 EST 1997

Dear Chuck:

The following was forwarded to me.  I see reference to "censorware" as
pertaining to some of the companies in the filtering or blocking arena.  We
at Net Nanny agree that there should be no censorship of the Internet.  We
believe that the Individual has the right to determine what should or
should not be presented on his/her terminal.

Net Nanny allows YOU, the owner, to decide what you do or do not want sent,
typed or received on your PC.  We allow you total access to our FREE data
base, if you want, or you can define your own data base.  Anything that is
blocked inadvertently may be removed from Net Nanny's data base at the
owner's discretion.

We are the only software company that allows 2-way screening and to
capability of deciding what is right for your situation.  We also do not
believe that customers should be charged for any data base update.  All of
our data bases, (both good and bad lists) are free of charge to all owners
of our product.

Please feel free to send any comment you may have on these issues to me.

Thanks.   :)
Gordon.
Gordon a. Ross - CEO/President
Net Nanny Software International Ltd.
Suite 108 - 525 Seymour Street
Vancouver, B.C.  Canada   V6B 3H7
     Tel:  (604) 662-8522

     Dear Gordon:

     Thanks for your letter. Maybe I have been hasty to lump all Internet
     filtering products into one bag, but they still scare me. I believe it
     was CyberPatrol that I tested, which I discovered filtered out many
     sites with non-mainstream views. You have to understand why some of us
     librarians, who believe in the right of access to information, should
     be concerned about filtering software. It is easy for those with
     political agendas to force upon a tax-supported institution a
     "solution" for whatever public hysteria currently plagues their little
     minds.

     I really can't understand why anyone would want to screen the Internet
     automatically for oneself. In my experience, if you want to find
     something shocking, you have to dig for it.

     I believe that the main purpose of these products is to act as silent
     censors for parents.

     I feel that kids should have the same rights to access the web as
     their parents. When I was a kid in Kansas City, I was able to roam the
     adult stacks of the local public library freely and I checked out
     adult books without restrictions. I read about some disturbing things
     and stuff I didn't understand, but that is part of growing up and
     learning about the world.

     Most of the discussion about kids and the Internet have revolved
     around the parent's "rights" to control what their kids surf. What
     about the kid's rights? What about the 13-year-old who is wondering
     about his gay feelings and is home-schooled by his Christian
     fundamentalist parents who have installed a NetSitter product. Doesn't
     he have a right to look for information that is at odds with his
     parent's religious beliefs (or ideology)? I am not alone in advocating
     a child's right to learn about the world unfettered by stupid
     restrictions.

     Some would argue that these products should just "ban porn," but
     several of these filtering products have already shown how easy it is
     to build into the product screening on other topics (politics,
     sexuality, profanity, drugs, etc.).

     Let people surf the web and think for themselves.

     Everybody.

     I could wish your business luck, but I can't. You should devote your
     efforts to other software that is more socially useful. I also hope
     that no libraries buy your product, because it would be unethical.

     Chuck Munson