Internet in Libraries

Douglas Cornwell dougc at pb.seflin.org
Thu Feb 27 08:53:24 EST 1997

I have to relate an experience I had while helping one of our students on
the Internet in our library.  I was showing him how to access newspapers
on the web.  Specifically, he was interested in reading articles in the
Los Angeles Times as the topic he was researching involved California.
As we accessed the L.A. Times and found the "Archives" for the L.A.
Times, we noted on the screen that it said, "You will no longer need to
go to the Library."  The student noticed it and made the comment that "I
don't know why they would say that because I come to the library all the
time to use these computers and the Internet."  I agreed with him.

We proceeded to locate some articles on the L.A. Times in their archives
and he was about to retrieve the full text when I brought to his
attention that there was a notice about having to pay a cost to get the
article.  We talked about how we bet that he would have to use his credit
card to get it.  I told him, however, he could get the article through
our library (we don't have it, but we can get it through interlibrary
loan) free of charge.

It has occurred to me that perhaps our providing it free of charge is
part of the problem.  There are so many people out there seeing that the
Internet is for making money that they resent the age-old library premise
that we can get it free!  Therefore, that is what is prompting such
statements as what I saw on the L.A. Times.  Obviously, they are unhappy
that a library can get the article at no charge.  Yet, isn't that what we
have been doing for decades?  Why, all of a sudden do people want to pull
out the rug beneath us?  Greed.  They want to make money off the Internet
and as long as libraries exist, we can block their way.

I believe there are those that cannot always afford all the expensive
gagetry it takes to use the Internet and since the library has always
provided information for those unable to buy the very best, why shouldn't
we continue to provide the information free in this age of the Internet
and computers?

Just my two cents (sense?) worth.

Doug Cornwell

Douglas Cornwell