Boston situation -Reply

Brian Stone stone at imcpl.lib.in.us
Thu Feb 27 00:33:17 EST 1997

My last comment, I promise.

When I was 12 years old, if the public library offered full internet access,
I would have spent a lot more time in the library. I might not know that
national geographic is a magazine.

The overriding issue for me as a library patron is that the library should
be a kid safe environment. I'll take care of my kids at home. I expect that
the schools, the children's museum and the public library do their part as
well.

Do any of us believe it is benificial for kids to be exposed to all of the
stuff that is available on the internet. Perhaps some of "it" might even be
harmfull, especially to kids. Common sense can be used to determine what
"it" is.

This really is a new problem. This level of free informaion access has never
been available before. It is partially our problem. We need to deal with it.

It's been a good discussion. It has enhanced my understanding of the issues
involved.

Brian