Boston situation -Reply

stone at imcpl.lib.in.us stone at imcpl.lib.in.us
Wed Feb 26 12:29:58 EST 1997

This not an all inclusive definition of porn but how about people having sex
with animals. Anyone disagree?

Frankly, the definition does not matter. In most communities, if we do not
not make a reasonable attempt to protect our children ( i.e. BPL), someone
else will be making the decision for us. In extreme cases, Internet access
may be prohibited.

This is a big problem for public libraries. Probably not so much a problem
for academic libraries.

Brian

At 05:42 AM 2/26/97 -0800, you wrote:
>> From: Brian Stone <stone at imcpl.lib.in.us>
>> To: Multiple recipients of list <web4lib at library.berkeley.edu>
>> Subject: Re: Boston situation -Reply
>> Date: Wednesday, February 26, 1997 2:04 AM
>>
>> I dont want my kids to be exposed to pornography in the library. I
>dont want
>> local pol's and the christian right telling us we can't offer
>internet
>> access. Two good reasons to bock porn. I dont think we have to stop
>it all.
>> We do have to make a reasonable attempt.
>
>Sounds good, Brian.  Let us know when you have a definition of
>pornography that everyone involved will agree on, and when you have a
>mechanism that will block access to sites with pornography with
>sufficient reliability to satisfy everyone involved.
>
>Thomas "...But I Know It When I See It" Dowling
>tdowling at ohiolink.edu

Brian Stone