Boston situation

David Miller dmiller at curry.edu
Wed Feb 26 11:20:28 EST 1997

Judith Falzon wrote:
"       I don't think "the city" is paying for the library. Taxpayers are.
       And while the mayor may be the top administrator of city
       departments, I am disappointed that he stepped in without
       consultation from library administration and without, I
       believe, due consideration of the implications of his
       actions.

       I definitely see First Amendment issues all over this--
       who decides what is acceptable to view by whom and when?"

I've been holding off on mentioning this, but FWIW: when I saw the
headlines on our local daily tabloid, The Boston Herald (easy to
read on the subway, thuh Peeple's Choice, etc.) -- Kids Viewing Porn
at the Library (or something like that) -- well, I knew we were in
for a mess like this.

One of the reasons I admire people who work for public institutions
is that they're liable, de facto, to be governed by tabloids and talk
shows. I don't have the stomach for it. Who decides what is acceptable
to view by whom and when? Who's the editor of the Herald?

David Miller
Levin Library, Curry College
Milton, MA
(call me an elitist if you like)