Why does Location/Netsite/Go to change in Netscape window?

Ed Cherry cecherry at samford.edu
Mon Feb 24 11:04:04 EST 1997

On Fri, 21 Feb 1997 11:32:52 -0800 Stephanie Johns
<johnste at PILOT.MSU.EDU> asked two questions:

> The label on the box where you type in the URL (not the "Open" box) =
> changes by itself.  Sometimes it says "Location:" and sometimes it says =
> "Netsite:"
> If you erase everything from the box, then it changes to say "Go to:"
>
> We understand why it would say "go to" if you've erased everything.
>
> Why does it change between Netsite: and Location:?

The "Netsite:" is a subtle form of advertising.  It means that
the web server is using Netscape's own server software.
(Perhaps this is TOO subtle, since most people miss the meaning
of it.)  Everything else is just a "location."

> The pull-down menu for that Location/Netsite field does NOT match the =
> History list, whether you reach it via Go/History or Window/History or =
> CTRL-H.  What IS that pull-down menu if it isn't the history list?

The pull-down menu is not a history of visited sites, it is a
"URL History" of previous "go to" commands.  The obvious way to
add to this list is simply to type (paste) a URL into this box.
If you are using a 16-bit version of Netscape for Windows, you
can delete or manipulate (or add to) this information by
editing the entries in the [URL History] section of
netscape.ini.  If using a 32-bit version with Windows 95, look
in Regedit under HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Netscape\Netscape
Navigator\URL History.   I STRONGLY advise caution when playing
around with Regedit!  For Mac versions, I don't know (or care)
how to play with these settings. :-)  Perhaps someone from a
Mac shop would like to describe where these settings are stored.

* Ed Cherry             *                              *
* Automation Librarian  * Phone:  (205) 870-2506       *
* Davis Library         * Fax:    (205) 870-2642       *
* Samford University    * E-Mail: cecherry at samford.edu *
* Birmingham, AL  35229 *                              *