Why we _will_ be here in 20 years

atroncale at nypl.org atroncale at nypl.org
Tue Feb 18 14:07:07 EST 1997

     OK, I rarely post to this site and almost always prefer to lurk for I
     do not like getting singed by my peers, but what the h---...

     My apologies in advance for any unforeseen offenses occurred below.

     My take on the all the continuing angst over the future of libraries
     and librarianship is a positive one, but we must adapt to the
     ever-changing nature of knowledge-based information retrieval. By
     keeping our eye on what is, granted, a constantly moving target,
     librarians will always be relevant. Our task as librarians is to make
     the LIBRARY relevant, and in some ways new web developments will make
     this task easier.

     The new push media tools coming out that will feed you information
     based on what you tell the program(s) to retrieve is the first sign
     that the dumbing-down of the net is occurring. Like television, you
     look at the program guide and tell the TV what channel to tune in so
     you can see your preferred "information". Of course as we all know the
     information "served up" by the likes of Murdoch and his ilk is not
     worth the ions it is delivered on. Likewise, how can we be assured
     that Pointcast is going to deliver us relevant, quality information?
     How does a software program deal with MISinformation? Contextual
     analysis? Conceptual analysis? At least in a library, the items on the
     shelves have gone through an editorial and quality review process,
     with the web we get every shadetree vanity press under the sun that
     wants to vent their spleen, with nary an editor in site.

     So, I think eventually the everyday public is going to abandon the net
     for (most) reliable research information and go BACK to the public
     library, where they know that a human being, who can properly analyze
     your request by way of a reference interview, will give you reliable
     guideance. This, btw, means a face to face human encounter where the
     skilled reference librarian can read the face of a patron who may be
     confused and/or dismayed at not being able to find what they are
     looking for. This way, not only the public is reassured of the
     relevancy of their mission, but also the librarian is reassured that
     the public truly needs them.

     Sure, the public will continue to use the web as an information
     resource, like what the weather is like in Tuscon, AZ in April, and so
     much the better for it relieves us librarians to focus in real
     research topics.

     This not to say that libraries should abandon the net as a refernce
     tool, but we need to develop a useful system that reviews what sites
     are deemed reliable and accurate. Much like we recommend books by
     reviewing books, we should do the same with web sites. An ALA seal of
     approval?

     Anthony Troncale
     New York Public Library

     Opinions are mine alone but you of course can share them if you want.

     The chicken: "Books, books, books?" The frog: "Read it, read it, read
     it."