Why we won't be here in 20 years

Linda Woods Hyman lhyman at mail.sdsu.edu
Tue Feb 18 12:44:32 EST 1997

>jschall at glenpub.lib.az.us wrote:

>Why we won't be here in 20 years

>"You can find weather for any city in the world, maps,
>movie reviews, recipes, political commentary, employment
>opportunities, video clips, music, photos and more research
>information than you could find in your library.  All this in
>the comfort of your home.  The Internet is a modern-day
>miracle."

It goes back to the ole information haves and have-nots.  There will still
be populations that do not have the ability to find weather, etc etc.
because they may not have access to the internet in their homes.  I guess
that depends on what the cable companies and phone companies offer.  (how
many people don't have cable?)

>... When they find out I'm a
>librarian, they ask what I plan to do after we close down
>all the libraries.

Much like church, many parents believe it is important to take their
children to the library.  Maybe that's where we should be focusing our
attention.  Also as community telecenters and distant education venues?

>I predict that unless we convince citizens of the the value we add
>to information, then marginalization is our destiny...What we haven't done
>well is promote >ourselves.  The value of
>a library does not lie so much in its materials as in the expertise
>of its librarians.  Yet the voting public views us as information
>warehouses attended to by clerks.

How can we get "in their faces" then?  Many libraries are partnering in
interesting ways with schools, municipal governments, or other entities.
Even if the public does not directly perceive the influence the library is
providing, it is a fact that libraries are frequently the leaders in
implementing technology and connectivity.  Look at places like Pasadena
(CA: http://www.ci.pasadena.ca.us/library/) where the library is critical
in implementing the city's technology.  They are doing interesting things
such as providing online RFP's and other kinds of input and output for the
city.  They have a business manager on their staff that keeps on eye on
trends and ideas that might be promulgated through the auspices of the
library.  If you think it can't be done by smaller libraries, then look at
National City Public Library (CA:
http://www.sdcoe.k12.ca.us/NCPL/mainMck.htm).  They are moving in a similar
direction.  First partnering with the elementary school district to share
resources such as library catalogs, materials processing, staff development
and internet access.  Now they are preparing to expand and include all
municipal departments in an internet/intranet.

Linda Woods Hyman-Education First Initiative
Pacific Bell/San Diego State University
Dept. of Educational Technology
San Diego  CA  92182  (619) 594-4414
e-mail:  lhyman at mail.sdsu.edu