Windows NT Workstation and security

Reeder Norm Reeder.Norm at mail.ci.torrance.ca.us
Tue Feb 11 12:17:13 EST 1997

We just got through doing this.  Neither Fortress or IKiosk will work
with NT.  You can secure the PC using the policy editor, but you also
need to use NT's new file system (NTFS).  With that, you can give
permission, file by file as to whether a username can see, read, write
etc to any file or resource.  You will still need some kind of
software to lock up the browser.  Temporarily we are using Microsoft's
Administators Kit for Internet Explorer ($10 from Microsoft).

Our site however, really uses Netscape.  Their administrator's kit
retails for $1,999.  However, they have a discount for public and
educational libraries for $795.  We have ordered it, but haven't seen
it to work with.

The Microsoft Kit locks down home page, mail and usenet settings (or
eliminates those if you want) and keeps users from changing any
settings in the browser.  This seems to work so far.  There isn't a
lot of information around on NT yet.  Some of the Windows 95 problems
discussed on this listserv previously are similar, i.e. right mouse
clicks, policy editor, and watch not only what users can "run", but
also what they can "delete".

Thanks
Norm Reeder
Torrance Public Library