Limiting public web access

Elizabeth Felt felt at mail.wsu.edu
Mon Feb 10 13:59:04 EST 1997

On Mon, 10 Feb 1997, Betty Morganstern wrote:

> I'm not sure why you want to separate the Internet from periodicals.  It has
> been confusing for our patrons when you have to say well this workstation
> has this service, and that one has something else.  Signs alone are not
> sufficient.

I find this a very interesting topic of discussion.  When I teach the
45-minute
library orientation to freshman, the one thing I stress above all else is
that when they walk up to one of our computers, they need to think about
why they want to use the computer, and then decide which system is open
on the computer.

Then, we move into the computer lab and students sit down at a terminal
and start searching for a book in an index or periodical articles in our
catalog....

I think many library users find it confusing that a computer will do more
than one thing.  We recently changed to a windows interface to our catalog
that uses the same interface with some locally-loaded full text periodical
indexes.  People find this horribly confusing.  Are other people finding
the same thing?

Elizabeth

Elizabeth Caulfield Felt
Reference Librarian