stats o' the day

Peter C. Gorman pcgorman at facstaff.wisc.edu
Mon Feb 10 09:37:09 EST 1997

Hello -

I hope Tom's message spurs people to look into the HTML 'standards'
process, or at least to pry open the lid of a DTD. It seems like many
people doing HTML have no idea that there is such a thing as syntactically
(in)correct markup. It's hard to blame them, though, since that's something
HTML editing software should take care of. When was the last time you had
to worry about the syntax of your WordPerfect document? As far as I know,
only HoTMetaL can check syntax. Still, with free services like WebTechs out
there it's easy to check.

I was shocked, shocked not to see our name on the squeaky-clean honor roll.
So, I checked WebTechs again (normally a monthly occurrence) and found that
it suddenly doesn't recognize & entities (I *swear* it used to! Honest!
:-)). Our own copy of nsgmls has no problem with it. Deep down in my heart
I know we're valid...

Still waiting for Cougar to become official,

PG
Peter C. Gorman
University of Wisconsin
General Library System