status o' the day

Karen G. Schneider kgs at bluehighways.com
Sun Feb 9 08:09:18 EST 1997

First of all, I think what Tom Dowling did was terrific.  And I don't want
to think about some of the klunkers on our own pages. And the point is very
well taken--I for one will put myself into remedial validation mode.

I have to say that one thing I do knowing it is wrong is embed tags
inappropriately.  But may I humbly ask the master, if "<h1><b>Really</b>
Important Header</h1> doesn't work," does that mean you know it breaks all
browsers or that it just ain't right, HTML-wise?  By the way, I'll also buy
"it works now, but like the comments issue you will get a nasty surprise
one or two HTML versions from now when HTML is less tolerant of that
error."  Not that I would embed a bold tag in a H1 header... but I would
and do embed break tags inside other tags, and a few other baddies.

Karen G. Schneider * kgs at bluehighways.com * schneider.karen at epamail.epa.gov
Author, The Internet Access Cookbook (e-mail Neal-Schuman at icm.com)
Director, US EPA Region 2 Library Contractor, Garcia Consulting
Cybrarian * Columnist, American Libraries
Visit our library at http://www.epa.gov/Region2/library/
These opinions strictly mine!