Mosaic! (was: Suggestion on Launching Windows applications from Netscape?

Ulrich Babiak ubabiak at dom.de
Tue Feb 4 20:38:33 EST 1997

On Tue, 4 Feb 1997, Wendy Wu wrote:
> We only made w3launch work on our ftp site instead of web server. So far
> we can not figure out why. However, there may be some other good
> launching programs available, and we like to get some input from you.
> Has anyone had good experience with Winframe from Citrix? we like to
> search cheap or free software to help us launch windows applications

        (mosaic stuff at the end of the text)

Wendy,

if your browser recognizes the w3launch-files properly and if it
works with the ftp server, it is most likely that you have to adjust
the webserver to announce the proper MIME-type along with the file,
i.e. the server has to include the type of application/x-launcher
(or whatever it's called for w3launch) in the http header
- and btw this is completely different from Citrix winframe: with
winframe you are running an application on the server, while with
w3launch you start up a program on the local workstation.

Talking about launching applications: I have just finished a
local html-based user interface for several cd-rom-databases, and as the
frontend I am using the new Mosaic 3.0 for Win95. It has a great
presentation mode (no window frame, no menus visible) which can additionally
be combined with the kiosk mode (i.e. if the user leaves the presentation
mode they will fall back into kiosk with very limited menu access)

I highly recommend checking it out - there is still a place for a
non-frame-capable browser in the windows universe...

Ulrich

Ulrich Babiak                         StadtBibliothek Koeln
ubabiak at stbib-koeln.de               postbox at stbib-koeln.de
Webmaster / Netzbetreuung              Josef-Haubrich-Hof 1
                                                50676 Koeln