Individual printers v. Network printer

Vladislav S. Davidzon davidzon at metronet.lib.mi.us
Tue Dec 30 19:43:04 EST 1997

Personally, in my humble opinion, I'd go for a network printer.  The main
advantage being that you only have to maintain one printer, instead of
30-some printers.  Now, the disadvantage of course is if that printer fries,
you're sorta out of luck, and your patrons get to wait till it gets fixed.
I think the first overweights the second reason though... As a technology
person for the library, I happen to be the one maintaining all this stuff...
Remember that lasers are much more reliable that deskjets usually too...
I've had tons of deskjets fry out on me, but am yet to see ANY hp laser
fry... Maybe we just don't have enough lasers for that to happen.

-vsd