Telnet and Netscape 4.04

Steven Benson sbenson at onramp.net
Fri Dec 26 19:34:00 EST 1997

Mary,

The problem does lie with the manner that Navigator 4 passes the telnet URL
to the telnet app.  The solution that worked for me is (the following is
copied off of a telnet explanation web page at my library)

In the "Telnet application field you will need to enter the path and name of
your telnet program (eg. c:\windows\telnet.exe). Netscape
Navigator/Communicator v.4 requires a slightly different entry in the "Edit
- Preferences - Navigator - Applications" menu. Look for the "URL: Telnet
protocol" field. Using the previous example, add [space] %1[space]%2 (eg.
c:\windows\telnet.exe %1 %2).

This solution isn't one I would have ever figured out, but came from
suggestions by Sheryl Dwinell and others on this listserv.  You can find
these postings by searching the Web4Lib archive for "Netscape and telnet" or
by browsing messages from late in August of 1997.

Also, I just checked my setup on my home PC under
"Preferences/Navigator/Applications/URL - Telnet protocol" and it reads:

rundll32.exe url.dll,TelnetProtocolHandler %1

In both instances this setup is starting up Microsofts's Windows 95 telnet app.

Steve Benson
Richardson Public Library
Richardson, TX
sbenson at onramp.net