Web catalog printing

Stacy Pober Spober at manhattan.edu
Tue Dec 16 18:13:09 EST 1997

Currently, we have dumb terminals to interface our online catalog
and a number of tape-loaded databases.  Most of those have
DeskJet printers so that a patron can print a quick book record or
abstract.

On other computers, we offer full network access to any application
on the college network, with one pay printer that uses copy cards and
is NOT networked (you must be at that particular computer to use it.)

Big change is coming.  We are migrating to a web version of the
catalog and the dumb terminals will be history (sniff, sniff  - go
ahead and laugh about my missing them, but in the summer, when the
temperatures climb, they are sometimes the only computers working
reliably in the non-airconditioned public area!)

Some of the new computers for the web will have IKIOSK and Fortres on
them, and they will be reserved for accessing the catalog and
other web resourcees.  If we leave those with full access to
applications, I just know that there will be times when there
are no computers available for catalog access.   We would like to
make printing available from the catalog and from associated indexes,
but we don't know of any way to limit them to citation and abstract
printing.  One of the services on the new web catalog is UMI's
ProQuest Direct, which offers full-text and full-images for many of
the articles.  Some of those are quite long, and we don't want the
printer used for that, both for reasons of cost and because we will
not have as many printers available.

I'm sure other libraries have already faced this question of how to
limit printing from a web-based catalog.  What has worked for your
library?  What should we avoid?

Stacy Pober                   Internet: spober at manvax.cc.manhattan.edu
Information Alchemist         http://www.manhattan.edu/library/mclmenu.html
Manhattan College Libraries   Phone:  718-862-7980
Riverdale, NY 10471           Fax:  718-862-7995