Lynx vs. GUI

Thomas Dowling tdowling at ohiolink.edu
Fri Dec 12 11:25:11 EST 1997

-----Original Message-----
From: Michelle Morris <morrism at rocky.laman.lib.ar.us>
To: Multiple recipients of list <web4lib at library.berkeley.edu>
Date: Thursday, December 11, 1997 12:37 PM
Subject: Lynx vs. GUI

> ...Are there other libraries that still have Lynx as the main
>browser and have you had much luck with vendors supporting the lynx
>platform?

I have gone around and around on Lynx support with a couple of different
vendors, and my impression is that they have been less than interested in
the subject.

The biggest offenses, aside from the generally egregious quality of HTML
tagging put out by the interfaces in question, are lack of ALT text for
inline images and lack of either ALT text or VALUE settings for <INPUT
TYPE=IMAGE>.  We've managed to nag sufficiently to get our worst offenders
to improve substantially, but it took a couple of upgrade cycles each time.

Thomas Dowling
tdowling at ohiolink.edu