web page counters

Robert Rasmussen ras at nimbus.anzio.com
Thu Dec 4 12:00:15 EST 1997

On Thu, 4 Dec 1997, Katherine Kendall wrote:

> Our library web page is hosted at no charge by a local internet
> provider.  I would like to add a counter to the main page to
> measure hits.  Can this be done with html on our page alone or
> is this a cgi thing that might bother the provider?  I haven't
> done a lot of interactive stuff, so speak slowly in words of
> one syllable.

Last I checked, a counter was generated by a cgi script. Although ISPs are
reluctant to allow cgi scripts for security reasons, they generally have a
library of common ones available. This is surely a common one.

Regards,
....Bob Rasmussen,   President,   Rasmussen Software, Inc.

personal e-mail: ras at anzio.com
 company e-mail: rsi at anzio.com or sales at anzio.com or support at anzio.com
 ftp://ftp.anzio.com               voice: 503-624-0360
http://www.anzio.com                 fax: 503-624-0760