ALA Unveils *cybercollection* of 700+ Sites for Kids

Walter Minkel walterm at nethost.multnomah.lib.or.us
Tue Dec 2 17:27:31 EST 1997

It's because that even though the collection of sites was assembled by we
ALSC members, the finished site was built by Stephanie Stokes Design in
San Francisco, and their staff maintains it. --W

On Mon, 1 Dec 1997, Dan Lester wrote:

> At 05:16 AM 12/1/97 -0800, Thomas Dowling wrote:
> >And, out of curiosity, why isn't the page actually located at ALA's
> >server?
>
> I'd bet because ALA's server isn't as convenient to the author, and maybe
> not as reliable.
>
> >olc2.ohiolink.edu> lynx -head -dump
> >http://www.ala.org/parentspage/greatsites/amazing.html
> >HTTP/1.0 302 Found
> >Date: Mon, 01 Dec 1997 12:55:46 GMT
> >Server: Apache/1.0.0
> >Location: http://www.ssdesign.com/parentspage/greatsites/amazing.html
> >
> >ssdesign.com is Stephanie Stokes Design.  If Stephanie is not only
> >publicizing this page, but also editing, designing, and maintaining it,
> >shouldn't she be getting that credit?
>
> I'd assume it is a "work for hire" rather than her independent development.
>  Well, that doesn't mean she didn't do it independently.  But most of us
> have written some pretty major pieces over the years that haven't appeared
> with our names on them, as they were done as an "institutional document" or
> a "committee report".
>
> dan
>
> Dan Lester, 3577 East Pecan, Boise, Idaho 83716-7115 USA
> dan at 84.com   http://www.84.com/   http://www.lili.org/
> http://library.idbsu.edu/   http://cyclops.idbsu.edu/
> Albertsons Library at Boise State, the University for Idaho
> Sent me a postcard of a library yet?  You'll get something nice in return.
> In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.  Erasmus, 1534

Walter Minkel, School Corps Technology Trainer
Multnomah County Library, 205 NE Russell St., Portland, OR 97212
Voice (503)736-6002; fax (503)248-5441; walterm at nethost.multnomah.lib.or.us