Leasing PCs Was -- Re: Systems Librarian Role

Shirl Kennedy sdk at mindspring.com
Wed Dec 10 21:49:55 EST 1997

I'm working at a place (corporation) now where all the PCs are leased --
desktops and laptops.  They are all Dells, and they are leased through a
vendor who configures them according to our specs, delivers them and sets
them up.  The leases are for three years; company wanted two-year leases but
someone told me this couldn't be done due because of (U.S.) tax laws.  BTW,
the units don't all turn over at the same time.  It's more like a
continuous-basis type of thing.

Since I'm not involved in the financial end of things at all, I don't have a
clue as to what this sort of arrangement costs...  I figure it must be
cost-effective, or the company wouldn't do it.  We're talking somewhere
between 2000 and 2500 PCs -- desktops, laptops and, as of recently, handheld
units (Toshiba) have been trickling in...

Guess I'm kind of curious as to whether any library systems have looked into
this alternative, primarily large library systems.  I'm wondering whether
the financial benefits would be the same, better or worse for a non-profit
entity.

Shirl Kennedy