Popular Notions about the web

Donald Barclay dbarclay at Bayou.UH.EDU
Fri Aug 29 17:20:51 EDT 1997

I'm trying to compile a list of popular notions about the web (or
Internet).  In particular, I'm interested in notions that are spread via
mass media (TV, movies, magazines, etc.). Such notions could be:

False: "All information in the world in on the web."

Partially true: "If you use the web, people can gather information about
                 you."

Or entirely true: "You can find photographs of naked people on the
                   web."

The initial list that I brainstormed follows below my signature. Although
I mention the "f" word in this list, my intent is that this mention be
seen as neutral. It is certainly not an attempt by me to start another
round of messages about f***ering. I've divided the list into pro- and
antiweb categories, though maybe there will be some notions that don't
fall into either camp.

Thanks for any suggestions. If you want, you can respond directly to me
and I will summarize for the entire list.

Donald A. Barclay
Coordinator of Electronic Services    always the beautiful answer
University of Houston Libraries       who asks a more beautiful question
dbarclay at uh.edu                               --e.e. cummings
www.uh.edu/~dbarclay

Popular Notions about the Web (Internet)

Pro Web
You can find anything on the web (if you are a good enough hacker).

The web is the fastest way to find information, and it's a snap to print
or download anything you find.

You can use the web to directly communicate with the leading experts in
any field.

You can use the web to get inside information you can't get anywhere else.

"Somebody" is in charge of the web.

All books, magazines, journals, etc. are either "somewhere" on the web or
will be soon.

The web is always the best place to start looking for information.

The web is the only thing you need to do any research.

If I something is done with a computer in a movie, it can be done in real
life.

You can get rich just by starting a business on the web.

You can search the entire web by typing in a few words (aka the "just
punch it up on the computer" school of information retrieval.)

Searching the web for information doesn't require any thought, nor does
evaluating the information you retrieve.

You can make the web safe for kids by using filtering software.

The web makes libraries (or at least books) obsolete.

Anti-web
The web is nothing but pornography.

The web is full of credit-card and other scams.

If you use the web, people can gather information about you.

You need to be a computer genius to use the web.

The web is nothing but advertisements for big corporations.

The web is a government (or corporate) conspiracy.

The web is populated entirely by crackpots, extremists, deviants, and
children.

Every time you try to use the web, nothing works.

The web is turning us into a bunch of drooling illiterates.

The is no information of any real value on the web.

The web has no place in any library.