Web Based Ill Forms... -Reply

Thomas McMillan Grant Bennett bennettt at am.appstate.edu
Wed Aug 27 18:54:05 EDT 1997

Below is documentation that I used succesfully to password a Web page on
a local server.  The server was NCSA compatible, the win 3.1
predecessor(HTTPD) to O'Rielly's W95 server.

Simple protection by password
This document  is only accessible to user fido with password bones.
1) Create a text file named #haccess.ctl  in the directory that contains
the document  to be secure.
2) Contents of the textfile:

AuthUserFile c:/httpd/conf/authusr.pwd
AuthGroupFile c:/httpd/conf/empty.pwd
AuthName Example
AuthType Basic

<Limit GET>
require user fido
</LIMIT>

3)The password file authusr.pwd has to be created in the c:/httpd/conf/
directory using password software that should have come with your web
server I expect.

The passwordonly needs to be used once in a session .  The browser has
to be exited to reset the need of using a password.

Thomas Bennett

--

If it works, don't fix it!