making background image

Sheryl Dwinell dwinells at vms.csd.mu.edu
Mon Aug 25 19:11:27 EDT 1997

> I would like to turn a gif of our school mascot into a background image.
> I've made it tranparent but that leaves a black outline image that is not
> what I want.  What I want is the grey image look that I've seen on other
> pages.  I don't want it to distract from the text of the page.  Do I need
> special software to do this?  If so, what should I get?

Don't know if you've solved your problem yet, but if I understand you
correctly you want to fade out the image a bit so it can be used as a
background without interfering with text on the page?  You'll need to tweak
the graphic with your graphics software.  I'm not sure what sort of
graphics software you have, but you might want to download the shareware
program PaintShopPro (http://www.jasc.com/psp.html) off the web. It has
lots of nifty features and comes pretty close to doing everything that
Photoshop can do, without the massive price tag.

Sheryl Dwinell * Cataloger/DBM Librarian/Webmaster
Memorial Library * Marquette University
P.O. Box 3141 * Milwaukee, WI 53201-3141
414-288-3406 * dwinells at vms.csd.mu.edu