Telnet for Netscape 4.0 standalone and/or 4.02?

Thomas Dowling tdowling at ohiolink.edu
Fri Aug 22 13:50:01 EDT 1997

>"C:\Program Files\QPC\QVTNet\bin\term.exe" %1 %2
>
>Make note of the quotation marks.
>
>And Netscape wants to sell this to Average Joe home user??

Netscape certainly thinks that Average Joe Home User has no need for telnet.
They think that Average Joe Transaction Worker (Sun's unflattering term)
needs occasional tn3270 connections, hence Communicator's Host On Demand.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned an obvious shortcoming with telnet URLs
and Win95/NT4.  The install program for any decent browser these days will
offer to take over management of http URLs; likewise for mail and news
clients.  I admit I haven't been looking too hard, but I've never seen a
telnet app say "Would you like to use BozoTERM Deluxe Pro as your default
telnet client?  Yes/No/Don't Ask Me Again".  Instead I get things like
ZModem downloads and kludgy URL highlighting.  Thanks, but what I want is
top-notch vt220, vt100, and vt52 emulation in an app that intelligently
coexists in an up-to-date desktop environment.  Then I'd never have to mess
around with REGEDIT to massage my telnet app.

Thomas Dowling
tdowling at ohiolink.edu